Mark L. Barbre is a go-to litigator with extensive, wide-ranging experience representing privately held and publicly traded businesses, including startups, mid-size companies and multinational enterprises, as well as individual entrepreneurs, business owners, senior executives, boards and other stakeholders. He represents government agencies in billion-dollar procurement and contracts-related litigation and administrative law matters and has also represented clients in personal injury and wrongful death claims.
Mark has represented clients in numerous industries, including health care and medical devices, technology, financial services, insurance and professional services. He provides effective counsel at every step in the dispute-resolution lifecycle, from pre-trial strategy development and discovery, through trials, appeals and settlement negotiations. At every point, he ensures that his efforts align closely with his clients’ unique business strategies and overall goals.
In addition to his dispute-resolution practice, Mark regularly serves as outside general counsel, helping clients identify, address and minimize potential risks, liabilities and exposures while maximizing business opportunities. Mark has advised on business formations and structuring, corporate transactions, commercial lending and business finance, and regulatory compliance, including Financial Industry Regulatory Authority requirements, as well as broker-dealer matters. Mark also advises individuals and family offices on trust, estate, retirement and succession planning issues relevant to closely held businesses and their owners and executives.
Drawing on his broad litigation and counseling experience, Mark approaches each matter with a fresh perspective, taking advantage of prior lessons learned to develop and implement creative, practical solutions.
Mark is committed to cultivating the next generation of legal professionals and is responsible for the firm’s law clerk program. Outside the firm, he regularly serves as a formal and informal mentor to aspiring attorneys and law students as well as early career lawyers.
- Represented the Louisiana Office of Employee Benefits in a pharmacy benefits dispute involving a contract in excess of $1 billion.
- Business Structure & Transactions
- Commercial Lending & Debt Collection
- Corporate Litigation
- Insurance Defense
- Professional Liability
- US Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- US District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana
- US District Court for the Middle District of Louisiana
- US District Court for the Western District of Louisiana
- All Louisiana State Courts
- Federal Bar Association, Vice President for the Fifth Circuit (2023); Board Member (current) and President (2016) of the Baton Rouge Chapter
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- Baton Rouge Bar Association
- Louisiana Bar Foundation Capital Area Partnership Panel, Board Member
- St. Michael High School, Baton Rouge
- Paul M. Hebert Law Center, Louisiana State University
JD, BCL, 2006
- E. J. Ourso College of Business, Louisiana State University
- Louisiana State University
BS, cum laude, Education, 1999