Catherine Smith Carrier represents clients in a broad range of legal disputes and commercial transactions. She has specific experience in public utility regulation and securitizations, design and construction claims, real estate leasing and transactions, and other corporate matters. Catherine also advises individuals, families and business owners on estate planning, business succession and related issues.
In her public utilities practice, Catherine’s clients include stakeholders of electric utilities, regional transmission organizations, telecom and broadband providers, and non-profit public entities. She has also represented maritime/river pilots in matters before the Louisiana Pilotage Fee Committee.
Catherine has participated in a range of design and construction-related litigation involving insurance claims, breaches of contract, leases and design flaws, among other matters. A consummate legal researcher, she also participates in settlement negotiations, drafts key documents, and prepares witnesses for depositions and testimony at trial.
While in law school, Catherine served as executive editor of the Southern University Law Review
and was a judicial intern for the US District Court for the Middle District of Louisiana. She holds certifications in advanced legal research and litigation research from Thomson Reuters Westlaw.
- Commercial and Corporate Litigation
- Design and Construction
- Estate Planning & Successions
- Insurance Defense
- Professional Liability
- Procurement and Administrative Law
- Utilities: Energy & Telecommunications
- US Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- US District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana
- US District Court for the Middle District of Louisiana
- US District Court for the Western District of Louisiana
- All Louisiana State Courts
- John W. Barton, Sr., Leadership Class (2021)
- Louisiana State Bar Association, Public Utility Section (Council Member), Young Lawyers Division (Wills for Heroes, Committee Member)
- Baton Rouge Bar Association, Construction Law Section
- Energy Bar Association, Louisiana Chapter (Secretary/Treasurer)
- Wex S. Malone American Inn of Court, Member
- Junior League of Baton Rouge (Member)
- Southern University Law Center
JD, magna cum laude
- Louisiana State University
BS, General Business